40 Acts of Kindness

Monday, February 8, 2016

This coming Wednesday will start the first day of Lent. 

Lent is typically a period in which many Christians will fast or give up certain foods, deserts, alcohol, some times every luxuries for 40 days.( 40 days is the period in which Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness before starting his ministry. It can also be said that the 40 represents the 40 hours Jesus spent in the tomb prior to his Resurrection.)  

In previous years, for Lent, I have given up  things such as Dt. Coke, chocolate, bread,  and ice cream.

This year I have decided to do something a little different. During lent this year I would like to perform 40 Acts of Kindness. 

  I always thought that I had to give up something and then last year during Service at Church the pastor said it doesn't necessarily have to be giving up Ice Cream or Candy. The Pastor said you could practice being more patient on the drive to work or putting in more Volunteer time at a local Charity. This really had me thinking.. I needed to think outside the box and come up with something different to do for Lent.

One of the best experiences I had last year was paying for a mother-to-be's manicure and pedicure on her birthday. I didn't know the Woman. I j heard the woman talking to the Nail Tech about her husband watching her 2 other kids and how happy she was to just have a little time to sit and relax. As I paid for my nails I asked my Nail Tech at checkout if I could pay for the other woman's  services. The lady looked at me surprised. I told her not to say anything but I just wanted to pay for the other woman. I paid for both of our services and left. As I left the nail place I remember  feeling like it was the best money I had spent in a long time.

I think these are the kind of selfless things I would like to do over the next 40 days. It may not always be a monitory gift of giving but even a card to a random friend or donating some personal things to Good-Will. I will make a plan and at then end I will be sure to share with all of you .

I challenge all of you over the next 40 days to perform at least 1 act of kindness. 

XO

Danielle




No comments:

Post a Comment